Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

I have a 14 week old Golden named Buddy. I got m in the US

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 14 week old Golden named Buddy. I got him in the US when he was 8 weeks old. Our family lives overseas, so I brought him over to my kids. I've been training since and he is a fine dog. Sometimes, though, he seems to do whatever he wants and seems pretty stressed, yawning and panting and doing roll overs. It seems like he is obedient in the things I taught him 80% of the time. How do I win the remaining of his obedience? Thanks. Alex
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

What kind of training are you doing when he acts this way?

What is his body language like during these times? Is his tail up and wagging, ears relaxed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, very recently I was brought him to the living room as we watched tv and brought the pad from his crate for him to lay down on. I got him to sit, down and stay. But after half a min he'd get up again and go around the room. I did it many times, treating and praising, but all I got him was to pant and seem stressed.Other times it's usually after him not getting the training then he'd get stressed. I don't want to nag but what does it take for him to get some simpler things? I have read and watched a ton of stuff about training and try most exactly as shown.In the country we live in there's no obedience training available, so I have to do it myself.Thanks,
Alex
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information Alex. I really appreciate it.

It sounds like you have a solid foundation going on here...but the thing you really need to keep in mind is that your boy is only 14 weeks old...which is the equivalent of an 18 month old human baby.

For training at this age to be really effective, keep training times at about 10-15 minutes a couple times a day. As a puppy, that's going to be about the extent of his attention span, so it's important to not exceed that time or you risk getting frustrated yourself, which will send confusing signals to Buddy.

I really think that all you need to do here is be patient. He's very young but will come around.

I hope thishelps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Lisa