Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

We (my husband, son -14, daughter-20, and I) adopted a

Customer Question

We (my husband, son -14, daughter-20, and I) adopted a female Border Collie mix (named Callie) about 1 year ago from a loving foster family who rescued her about a year prior. We knew that she was a little skittish around new people and preferred women to men. She didn't like my husband for the first few weeks of her being in our home, however, now she really loves him the most. She is a wonderful dog. She knows basic commands, gets plenty of attention and exercise from all of us. Last night my daughter had three friends over - her two best girlfriends and a male friend. We were getting ready to eat dinner and he walked into the kitchen to and she bit his leg. Callie wasn't displaying any aggressive behavior. It was almost as if she snuck up on him. This wasn't the first time. My son had a male classmate over to complete a science project and Callie walked by him and nipped at his leg while they were working on the project. Other people have come into the house (family over for Thanksgiving) and she hasn't bitten anyone. When my sister comes into my house, she has told me she is afraid of Callie. Callie has "bumped" her leg as she has walked by her - almost as if she is pushing her out the door. We don't know what to make of this and how to correct this behavior. It just seems so random. It's not everyone who comes to visit. Just last week, we met for the first time a young man who has started dating my daughter and she was fine with him.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she had any obedience training?

Are the people doing anything like trying to pet her or leaning over her?

You say she is sneaking up on them. Is this always the case?