Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

What can possible cause my deaf puppy to suddenly, without

Customer Question

What can possible cause my deaf puppy to suddenly, without warning, to bite me?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What breed is your puppy?

How old is your puppy?

Did the puppy draw blood?

Can you tell me the circumstances surrounding th bite?

Have you done any training with the dog such as obedience , leash or socialization?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rufio is a 9 month possibly dachshund/border collie mix ( I think). He is deaf, but worked with a trainer both privately and in a group setting. He passed basic obedience. While he has made vast improvements in his herding instinct (biting our heels and legs), he has developed odd aggressive behaviors that involves screaming and racing around the house and then suddenly biting one of us. Afterwards, when we've shown him the sign for "NO!", and pushed him away, he starts to shake his head, stare into space, and stumble. He's never fallen during these episodes, but has walked into walls and furniture. Afterwards, he's absolutely fine. No aggression, no biting. I have an appointment in Pittsburgh for a canine neurologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm leaving for a visit with friends. I'm not sure about any free trial and I'm currently not planning on any monthly payments until I feel comfortable. I hope to hear from you later on. Thank you, Becky

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Let me start by saying that he is at the age where he would be sexually mature. However, he is still a pup in many ways. they get rambuncious and dart around and even bow, bark and nip to illicit play. The bite in a play situation is not hard usually. Read more on this here:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/mouthing-nipping-and-play-biting-adult-dogs

Dogs will also reprimand you by biting if they feel they are the boss. If you try and get them to do something they don't want to do, or you don't do something they want you to do, then they growl first then if you don't pay attention to the warning, they nip.

What is not a good sign is that his behavior afterward. It could indicate a vesitbular disruption (related to ear infection or other situation that interfere with the vestibular system which helps with balance. This mignt even be a growth. The behavior might be related to seizure activity as well. This could be related to a neurological issue.

If your dog is having a seizure you need to remain calm .You will want to time the seizures and keep a log of them. You also want to log any specific symptoms your dog may have had before the seizure and after the seizure as this may help the Vet determine the cause and may also give you a warning in the future of a possible reoccurrence. Log feeding times as well.

Seizures can happen for no apparent reason. Seizures of unknown origin are referred to as primary epilepsy or idiopathic epilepsy. The first seizure usually happens between 1 and 5 years old. Seizures also can be a result of a reaction to allergies, medications, toxins, fever and disease. . This type of seizure is called a reactive seizure. Some times it is possible to figure out the cause of this type and avoid them in the future.

You will want to capture video of the behavior if you can to show the neurologist. It may give him a clue as well. Here is a link about seizures in dogs.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?