Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years experience as a veterinarian dealing with dogs.
14018973

We just adopted a pup who was a stray, picked up at about 3

Customer Question

We just adopted a pup who was a stray, picked up at about 3 months old. She is now 6 mos. She will pick up and carry off the water dish (with water in it!) or the empty food dishes and take them to another part of the house. Our theory is that this is a "carry over" from when she was fending for herself out there and had to hide what she found. Comments? How can we reassure her that her food/water is safe?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Lootah. Thank you very much for giving this girl a great home. I'm always so happy when an owner can help give a home to one that is in a situation like this. She may be doing this activity as it is something that she likes doing. She may like actually picking up those bowls and making a small mess with them. I personally have a cat (he's a good sized 20#) that will constantly knock over the water bowl / play with it with his paws and make a complete mess. With Lootah, she may have a specific area that she's more comfortable eating / drinking in. Some dogs will pick up pieces of food and carry them to a more comfortable area to eat them. Some will store them in areas to snack on later. As for her at this time, probably the best initial thing to do is to physically get heavy bowls or secure them to something so she can't move them. I've seen some owners get a larger piece of plywood and glue / secure the bowls to them so they can't be picked up and moved. More than likely she will with a little time lose interest in moving the bowls. Helping her to have lots of good activity can also help get her energy used up in more productive ways. Taking her for lots of good walks and getting her lots of play time will help her to most likely do this less too. Another big thing that will help is her just getting a little older. You socializing with her and giving her all the love that she's getting will help her to know that she's in a good home now.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?