Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have a multiple pet household, one of my dogs recently

Customer Question

I have a multiple pet household, one of my dogs recently started peeing on my bed. I lock her out but if I forget or the dog sitter forgets she does it. This is recent 3 months max, she has been with me for over 8 years. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Have you had her urine checked by your vet?

Are there any new pets in the home or family members?

What is the breed of dog?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it seems you may be offline at this time. When it comes to a sudden behavior change such as this, you want to have a vet check if you have not done this I would at least drop off a first of the morning sample to your vet to check for a UTI or Bladder stones. Depending on the breed , some dogs are more prone to stones than others.

From a behavior standpoint, sudden changes can happen when there have been changes such as a visit from a person or pet, a change in the shift of power between the pack of dogs, or separation anxiety.

Dogs that have been potty trained to go outside usually do not want to mess in the home as it is considered their den. So something is going on.

Try thinking back to when it first started, what was going on between the dogs? Were there any visitors,. etc.?

At this point if it is strictly behavior then she cannot have free roam of the house. She should be crated, tethered or gated in an area near her food and water . To allow her to have free roam at this point is setting her up to fail.

You will need to try redoing potty training but make sure the reward for going outside is one she will remember and only get when she potties outside. hot dog or chicken slivers usually work well for this. I would also train a potty command so she goes when you ask her.

But do take a sample of urine in for testing and take notice if she is thirsty more than usually as diabetes is another problem in dogs.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If you should have any questions please do come back and ask:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will talk to the vet first. We have a young dog under 2 but she has been here for 18 months.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If she has been there that long it may not have anything to do with why your girl is having accidents unless this other dog is leaving an odor on the bed where the female sleeps. If there is any type of ammonia smell from another dog then to her itis a pee spot

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.