Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a 7 month old miniature Austrailian Shepherd boarder

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old miniature Austrailian Shepherd boarder collie mix. Sometimes the way she acts is really strange and worries me. One minute she is acting all loving towards me and my boyfriend and brothers, but the next she is acting timid as if she is scared of us. I got her when she was 6 weeks old and I have never hit her and neither has my boyfriend. The last week or so when I let her outside she refuses to come back in she just sits in the middle of the yard and just stares at me when I call her name or she will go and hind underneath my deck. When I walk to her to get her she runs away with her ears back and her tail between her legs, once again acting as if she is afraid of me. She has always been timid around guys and doesn't seem to men very much. She only likes my boyfriend and my dad. She will bark loudly and stay far away from all other men. I am worried as to why she has been acting so skiddish and scared all the time lately? I am very worried about this. When she is inside as well she will cuddle with me and lay with me and gives me kisses one minute then the next she doesn't want to come near me. So it isn't just when she is outside.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

At what age did you notice her being skittish for the first time?

Where did you get a puppy from that young?

Did you pick the puppy out or did someone pick it out for you?

Why did you pick this particular puppy?

When she is comfortable with you, then she takes off, what else is going on at the time? Meaning does anyone else enter the room?, is there a sound, is there another dog, are you just sitting or are you playing etc?