Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

Have a mother and her 9 month old 'puppy'. Mother was found

Customer Question

Have a mother and her 9 month old 'puppy'. Mother was found while pregnant. Mother appears to be house broken but has messed in the house when she wasn't getting attention (1 hour after being brought inside). Puppy is crate trained but has to be watched because she does what she sees her mother doing. When mother messed in house, the puppy did the same thing the next day. Can't seem to get dogs properly housebroken so they spend time outside when I'm not at home. Anytime I take them anywhere in the SUV, they will mess in the vehicle whether they are in the crate or not. Mother appears to have anxiety issues while riding and seems to be passing this on to her puppy. It has been my intention to have these dogs solely as inside pets. Can you help?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

When yo have dogs having accidents it is very important that they never have run of the home. The puppy is smelling the areas the mom has gone and that is why the pup is also going inside.

It is best to kee them in a crate when they cannot be watched 100%. Take them out every two hours, if they do not elimniate put them back in the crate , wait 10 minutes and take them out again. Give them a potty command as you stand there and watch them. A command like "go potty " works well. Continue giving them the command even as they are going so they associate the command with the act.Then praise and reward with something special like a hot dog sliver so they associate that with going potty outside.

It does not sound like they are trained very well in general, so i would like to see training in obedience done several times a day in short sessions, This will help build the mom's self esteem and she may get better riding in the car. When they go in the car crate them so they cannot pee in the car.

Mom may have some fear issues or submissive issues as well which will make her pee when she is nervous. Training will help with this as well.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Use a positive method for training such as clicker training.

www.clickerlessons.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

best of luck. it is a task but the dogs will be better for it!

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepper & Rosie. How is everything going?
Sally G.