Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I am trying to rescue a dog but she has some behavior

Customer Question

I am trying to rescue a dog but she has some behavior issues; she wants to follow my car home, but she won't get in my car or let me get a slip leash around her. How can I let her know it is safer for her to get in car or let me get a slip leash around her. A guy said that she was dropped off in parking lot out of car?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In situations like this, there are limited options available. One is to start gaining her trust over time. It would take a lot of time but would help her get used to your scent. Start feeding her on a regular basis and run your fingers through the dry dog food so your scent is everywhere on it. Take an old towel you have slept on and leave that under the food. Put the items down and move off far enough that she feels secure eating. Gradually you will move closer and closer. This will probably take a week or two. Eventually you should be pretty close. Then just sit down when you put the food down and wait for her to eat. After a few days of that, have some tasty treats like hot dog slivers or liver on the ground next to you or in the palm of your hand and see if she won't come over to you at that point. Do not grab her initially. You want her to get used to you touching her first. Once she is used to your touch you can then perhaps get a slip leash or collar on her. If you try for a collar, have the leash already attached.

The other option is a safe trap for her. You would put it out and maybe even put a blanket over it to provide her with a place to sleep if she decides to go into it at night. Place the food in the trap but set it so it won't trigger the door to close. Put the food near the enterance at first. As she learns to eat the food in the trap, move the food further into the trap until it is in the back. Once it is all the way in and she is eating consistently from the bowl, then set the trap to close when triggered.

Besides gain her trust or trap her, there isn't much you can do unless you live close enough for her to follow you all the way home. Even then she may not want to go into your house. See traps here:

http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-traps/dogs

Also talk to your humane society and animal control. They may have one they will let you use to catch her as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Let me know if you need more ideas or clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get her to stop following my car because that worries me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been feeding her for over a month. I have now started feeding her chicken tenders boneless

There really isn't any way of stopping her from following your car except by putting an unpleasant odor on it like bear urine. However, if you want her to eventually trust you, you don't want that scent associated with you or your car. When feeding you have to gradually get closer to where you feed her and then sit down close to that area and wait until she finishes eating. Use a bowl so once she is done eating you can remove it. This lets her know that you will take it away if she doesn't eat after a certain amount of time. This helps her come over and eat quicker. Eventually you will have the bowl just 5-10 feet from you and then just a foot or two away.

If the roads are not very well traveled where you are, perhaps you could wait and go during non traffic times with some friends who would be in a car behind you and perhaps let her follow you home having your friends keep behind her so she does not get hit. At this point, though, a safe trap would probably be the quickest method if it is too far to travel to your home.

If the system does not allow you to rate my response, please let me know.

Hi Andrea D. Williams,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?