Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Had to move into my mother's house to take care of her.

Customer Question

Had to move into my mother's house to take care of her. I have a Malinois and a Lab, and Mom lives in a patio home. I am able to walk them in the morning and again her is eager to use it. My Mal will if she REALLY needs to go, but the Lab will hold everything
until I get home...sometimes if he has an upset stomach, he will refuse to go outside, but will sneak up to the loft and mess all over up there. What can I do to encourage them to use this area?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

What have you tried so far?

Can you block off an area so that this is the only place accessible to them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a patio home, and the whole area out back is maybe 30x10. There is an 8x8 area of fake grass, and some wood chips around a tree in another 8x8 area right by it, and the rest is a patio. They don't want to use any of it. I tried spraying the area down weekly with a soda/water solution, and then the vet recommended leaving their smell for them, but that has not helped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fraser will hold his urine for 12 hours sometimes because he doesn't want to use it
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

thank you for that information. What you may have to do is crate them during the day and when you come home take them out by lead and give a potty command, if they have had an accident inside the home then take that and put it in that area so their smell is there.

Continue to give a potty command even as they are eliminating , when done praise and reward with a special treat such as chicken or or dog slivers. Dogs can be taught to go on command but the problem is they have access to the whole home so they are going inside. If you crate them they will not want to go where they eat or sleep. If you take them out and they will not go then they go back in the crate for 10 minutes then try again.

Retraining is probably the hardest thing to do and takes a long time, but once they get it, it will be worth the effort you made now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They rarely use the inside, my biggest concern is my Labs bladder from holding it so long. Even on walks, he holds out forever...I think its so he can have a longer walk, lol Treats and Praise....they eat that up
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I would start him going on command on walks as well. You may have to stand in one spot for a while until he figures it out. My dogs at their age can also hold it for the day. I even had a Therapy dog that would not go in public, he would wait until his return home to eliminate. They get quirky just like people.