Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years
53976849

We lost our 16 yr old shitzsu-maltese, our 12 yr old

Customer Question

we lost our 16 yr old shitzsu-maltese, our 12 yr old cardigan corgi isn't recovering i don't know what to do.
Dawn
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, I am incredibly sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet and one that has been with you so long must be devastating for the entire family. I have been through this with my personal pets and it did take quite some time (1+ month) for my younger dog to move forward and enjoy life again.

I will do my best to guide suggestions for Rockyroo but if at any point you need further guidelines please don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to assist you or opt out to allow another expert to help him move forward.

Please bear with me while I type my additional response...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

- Regular leash walks, frequent and what he is comfortable with. This might be 15 minutes three times daily but it helps the mind engage and move forward from the loss and is imperative for this process
- Don't coddle him, that is a sign of weakness and so you want to try to go about your days as you had before so that he can adjust to the new hierarchy
- If needed add white rice and boiled chicken to his diet to encourage normal gi regularity (not sure if the accidents are urinary or fecal in nature). That and the walks 15-30 minutes after meals will help with the accidents. In addition water to the meals to encourage a normal moisture to the diet and hopefully if there is any constipation or decreased tactile knowledge of urgency this will help as well (fiber and moisture)
- In some more severe cases we need to revert to puppyhood. If he was the submissive of the relationship and his alpha is gone he might be feeling overwhelmed and offering him a smaller space of security without his beloved friend sometimes is necessary until the accidents subside. Either this or a smaller room not the entire house and as he improves with his accidents you can slowly increase his exposure
- If continuing please consider a veterinary exam and basic bloodwork to rule out any medical causes that might coincide with the loss of your older pet. I have had cases that we thought it was in relation to the loss of the other pet when in fact there were serious medical conditions causing the changes

In my experience the exercise is key. If he can only do 5 minutes at a time that will do but after my senior dog passed my other dog lost >25% of her body weight in one month. It took some time and the above protocol really did help get her to move forward. A few months later I got another dog and that seemed to help as well but unfortunately for some this is not an option and sometimes can make things worse so I would definitely not advise this at this point

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am so very sorry for your loss and now your Rockyroo not recovering either makes this process so much more difficult for your entire family...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both, truly

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 30 minutes today before having to exit so please let me know how else I can assist you and Rockyroo today. I hope he is able to move forward from this devastating loss with some of my suggestions...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online for approximately 20 minutes tonight to answer any additional questions you may have. Otherwise I will be back tomorrow morning if I can clarify anything for you both...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and Rockyroo to see if you were able to implement any of the suggestions I gave a few days ago. Has there been any improvement in his mentation and accidents in the house since?

I would love an update when you are able.

Thank you!