Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My 1.5yr old male Rott is so sexually excited right now and

Customer Question

Hello, my 1.5yr old male Rott is so sexually excited right now and we have a female puppy but she is only 4.5months old so she's not in heat. Is there anything we can do to calm him down? He is whining, trying to be on her and he won't lay down.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When did this start?

When was the female checked by a vet?

Is there any odor coming from the female?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a crate for the male?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it seems you have gone offline . What I would do is have your vet look at the female to make sure there is not a vaginal infection as this can make the male think she is in heat. Depending on the breed of dog of the female she may be starting a cycle. A smaller dog may have a cycle earlier than a large breed dog.

You can try giving melatonin morning and night to keep him semi calm but a dog that thinks a female is in heat would do better to be brought to another's home until you find out what is going on with the female.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He started 2 days ago. She was lasted checked by our vet about 2weeks ago. She is a Rott also. We do not have a crate large enough for him so currently we are keeping him in another room of the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That attached website brought up a web page error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much melatonin for the dosage. He weighs 110#.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that. I would start with two 3 mg and see how it works. you can go up to as many as 3 3mgs