Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

We got Flipper, a half black lab and half border collie from

Customer Question

We got Flipper, a half black lab and half border collie from a local rescue home. He's about 2 years olds. He was found running down a road one year ago so he spent his second year in the rescue home. The owner said he was very submissive. It's obvious he's been abused as loud noises and just raising your hand spooks him. Now he has anxiety about not going in different rooms so we're successfully working with him on that. The baffling problem is that urinates when we try to let him out in the back yard. He knows that what he's doing is wrong, (one can tell from the look on his face and lower back with his tail between his legs) but we can't seem to find the solution. We don't have a fenced yard but he is fine on a long cord hooked to his harness and enjoys being outdoors. We've had him about 4 months and the urinating is getting really excessive when he sees the leash. We've tried hiding it but that doesn't work. We've brought him to our Vet twice and he appears to be very healthy. I have had treatment for agoraphobia in the past (I'm well now) so I know how to treat him from my own experience; but it's not working. HELP.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  durangojo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Flipper. I understand what a difficult situation this can be and how much you want to help him.

So I may know we are properly connected and that you understand how the website works, please type in a short REPLY below. We will be able to chat back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I've provided so I can earn your positive rating (without which I receive no compensation for my time with you).

I'll await your reply...

Expert:  durangojo replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you are not currently online and available to discuss your question. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you and provide you with the information you are looking for.

I will OPT OUT now so your question is available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on line continually since I asked the question.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

It seems the Doctor has opted out of your question.

Is the dog actually peeing or is he spritzing?

You said he has spent a year in a rescue home, do you mean a kennel type situation or a foster home?

Is he going Potty in the home at the time you take the leash out?

Please explain your routine with him and what you have tried so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's peeing. He's very house trained. It's just the moment when we hook him up to his leash. We do that quickly and calmly to take him out but he pees every time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You haven't bothered to talk with me for quite some time. JUST GIVE REFUND MY CREDIT CARD. if you don't I will contact the BBB and the Attorney Generals office in your State.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I just came on line and saw your question sitting here. Different experts come on a different times of the day. If they feel they cannot help you they will opt out of a question. the questions are put is specific categories and so you have to wait for an expert in that category to come online. I will put this in for refund and end the conversation.