Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

This is our 4 th dog and never had problems of one pooping

Customer Question

This is our 4 th dog and never had problems of one pooping in the house. She goes both ways out side but when in living room with my husband she sneakedinto ddining room and poops and sometimes pees. I have kept her in kitchen with me to watch how she acts when she wants out by jumping up on door. I let her out for a long while and she does fine. Only when my husband is home and she is in other room with him is when she poops and has peed a couple of times. We have tried every thing every one has told us and nothing has helped. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more to say
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Where did you get this dog from?

What age did you get the dog?

How often do you take the dog out?

Has the dog been checked for physical problems such as bladder stones or UTI?

Has the dog been checked for back issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SPCA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't let me answer questions
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

are you having problems with the service here?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to type out my answer to you and hopefully you will be able to see it.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Since the dog was from the spca it means we do not know how it was trained to begin with. It cvould have been trained on wee wee pads (which is a mistake), it could have had an owner that rubbed its nose in it or punished it, or it was never properly taught to begin with.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

POTTY TRAINING starting over

Copyright Sally G

To start over the dog must not have run of the home because by allowing this you are setting the dog up to fail. So it is important the dog be kept in a crate or on a tether next to its bed and food bowls as dogs do not like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. If you can’t watch the dog 100% then the dog must be contained and sometimes when people get busy around the house they actually tether the dog to them so they can watch them

Clean all areas you know that the dog has urinated with a cleanser made just for dog urine or it will be attracted back to those spots and continue to eliminate there.

Take the dog out via a leash and give a potty command, such as “go potty” and continue to say go potty even as the dog is eliminating so the dog associates the command with the act. Once done eliminating, praise and reward the dog, but the reward must be special and something the dog will only get when it potties outside so it associates this with that command and the act. Something like hot dog slivers work well or cheese chunks.

Puppies should be taken out every two hours as well as after play, nap, and eating. Sometimes a puppy gets involved and actually forget that they have to go until it is too late. Also pups outside become distracted by wind, shadows, noises, etc. so it is important to redirect them if you feel that they are not finished going or when you bring them back inside then crate them, wait ten minutes and take them out again.

Inside the home , once you have cleaned all areas the dog is known to go in, start to sprinkle some of its kibble or treats in those areas so the dog begins to see them as an eating area. Eventually you can replace that with small bowls of water until the dog is fully trained

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

IF you have problems with the site in the future you can email the link below for help

http://http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Expert:  russell-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/dog-training/9bh1l-ga-rp-th-dog-problems-one-pooping-th.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

The above message is from the customer service department because I let them know you were having trouble answering my questions. Please know that I did not opt out of your question and I am ready to resume with you if you need further help.