Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My husband had a knee replacement 18 months ago and it is

Customer Question

My husband had a knee replacement 18 months ago and it is all quite healed but our 5 year Spoodle is obsessive about licking the side part of the top of that leg. This has kept up for quite a time and he won't give up even licking the outside of trousers in that part. Does it indicate that there may be something wrong?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Dogs have a very strong scent and there are dogs that can detect things like cancer, a seizure etc. so they are very intuitive to a humans change in body chemistry. It is very possible that the dog senses some changes in that area of body chemistry.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If it is possible to talk to your Doctor and get an x ray I suppose it would ease the curiosity. But if your husband is not feeling any difference or is not in any pain it may be that the cells that are forming inside to heal the muscle is what the dog smells or the item they used for replacement.