agilityaddict
agilityaddict, Pet Trainer
Experience:  20 years experience training dogs in obedience and agility, current 4-H agility superintendent
6035727

My very well behaved standard poodle is 8 years old and has

Customer Question

My very well behaved standard poodle is 8 years old and has just begun chewing books. They are mostly books I have read, so apparently my smell is on them. I never catch her at it, so I'm at a loss as to how to correct this.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  agilityaddict replied 1 year ago.

This is an odd behavior to suddenly start at 8 years old, and if this is the only new thing she is doing you may never figure out why. My idea for you to stop the behavior is to try some bitter spray. The one that I've used with good results is Grannick's Bitter Apple. I've used it on books, and it didn't discolor them. I just held it back away from them, and sprayed lightly. Here is their website:

http://www.bitterapple.com/

If she develops any other odd behaviors that she never exhibited before then I would recommend a visit to your veterinarian, as sometimes behavior changes can be due to an underlying medical issue. Hypothyroidism in particular is known for causing them. If you have further questions let me know.

Best wishes,

Lynn