Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I am a 68 year old woman with health issues that keep me in

Customer Question

I am a 68 year old woman with health issues that keep me in the house a lot. I do not have a fenced in yard and live on a very busy street.
I have a precious four year old female dog. Her name is***** is VERY high energy. My Vet says that she appears to be a Terrier mix.
My question is this.... Will keeping my dog in the house have a serious adverse effect on her mental or physical health?
She bites her front nails and pulls at the hair between the pads a lot. My Vet has examined her feet and sees nothing wrong that would cause this.
She spends most of her time on the sofa or bed with me. She likes to burrow under the cover. She absolutely loves company. She enjoys chews and toys.
She is so high strung that my Vet put her on Prozac. Even with that she is very excitable.
I worry that living with a little old lady is detrimental for Bella. I love her so much and want her to be happy. Would it be better for her if I gave her to a family with children and a fenced in yard. I seriously want this precious dog to be healthy and happy.
Please advise me. I worry about this all the time and will greatly appreciate your help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Bella is 4 years old correct?

Is she spayed?

Do you take her for walks at all?

Has she had a thyroid panel done?

Has she been tested for allergies?

Do you have a back yard?

Hi ***** *****,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JaCustomer,

I was hoping to get some responses back before giving you an answer. Terriers are high energy dogs and it is possible that she will become bored with out any other stimulation. You could set up some agility type things in the house like tunnels and small jumps. You might provide other stimulating activities like tracking things through the house. You could work with him on obedience as well to stimulate him.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions. It also has links to tracking and other commands

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

Now she may get more interaction with people and get out more with another family, but if she has been with you most of her life, she may have trouble adjusting to a new household and the number of people there. Now you might find someone in the neighborhood, perhaps a neighbor's child who would take your dog for a walk for a nominal fee. Most children like dogs and are happy to walk them for you.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.