Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

My sons pit had a fight with s other basenji which she has

Customer Question

my sons pit bull had a fight with his other basenji which she has grown up with since a puppy and sadly the basenji died. is it morally responsible to put down his pit whom he loves dearly ?
thank you for guidance !
rona
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How old is the pitbull?

Is she spayed?

Can you tell me what was going on that caused the fight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm unable to do a phone call right at this moment...would it be okay to continue this conversation this way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son is in such shock, i would prefer to talk perhaps later and if its successful i will book another session for my son as well .did you receive my paragraph on the background ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get the photos, so sorry this is a very awkward connection, I'm not getting a consistent communication ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i feel this service is a fraud ?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I did get the photo of the two dogs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we make a time perhaps in an hour or later ?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

You have to keep in mind that it's a real person on the other end here...and sometimes it can take a bit for a reply to be typed out.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I have about 15 minutes right now before I have to run out to a training client...would that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would rather speak for the allotted time then because this seems to be going nowhere ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Then accept the additional service and the system will send me your phone number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do we Skype ? what is the additional service because we haven't explored anything as yet ?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I would make a phone call to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says i have an unclaimed offer ? what does that mean ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im in europe it would have to be Skype or we can continue did you receive the background paragraph i sent though ?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha...I'm in the US.

I got the information about how your son is in shock about the death of the Basenji...the system didn't send me other information. Was it the answers to the questions I asked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son was evicted and animal services took his 5 dogs and neutered the pit and the basenji that had a litter of 4 dogs in feb and they have lived together the pit bulls whole life, another incident happened 6 months ago and the basenji was at the hospital overnight, they were in a very tight temporary space and most likely they had a territorial dispute , my son was out working, he was going to put the pit bull don but loves her so much and is so confused , is it possible to have some of her teeth removed, she's normally not at all aggressive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pit is a female that just got spayed and the basenji is a male older and more alpha
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Can your son ensure that he doesn't get another dog for the duration of the time he has the pit?

Does he take her out into public where she may encounter another dog?

Is she contained when she's outside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he takes her out every day, would a muzzle help ?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Is she aggressive towards other dogs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's clear that she seems to be unable to live happily with another dog...however, since she's not aggressive towards other dogs and if your son is willing to keep her contained when he's not watching her, and agrees to not bring another dog into the home, then I feel like there's no reason to rush out and have her euthanized.

I feel like she does need to be carefully and closely monitored when there is a possibility of having another dog around her (such as on walks), and she should never, ever be left unattended with any other animal...

But as long as he can promise to police her and keep everyone self...then no...I don't think she needs to be euthanized.