Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We just adopted 2 sibling silky terriers appx 1-2yrs old

Customer Question

we just adopted 2 sibling silky terriers appx 1-2yrs old from the shelter. They were found abandoned on the streets but appeared to be well cared for. Up until recently they were very dependent on each other and very close but are now appearing to be jealous and we are having to break up fights and separate them. If one is on either of our laps the other doesn't want the other one near, or even territorial of the floor area. We have bought another crate to separate them when needed. Other times they will lay cuddled together as close as ever. What can we do to nip it in the bud? It's difficult not knowing their history.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Are they male and female or two of one sex?

How long have you had them?

Do they seem to know obedience commands?

Have you started working with them on obedience training?

Are you letting them on the furniture?