Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have had my little Morkie four years and recently (2 years

Customer Question

I have had my little Morkie for about four years and recently (2 years ago) had part of my right foot amputated. She has just started nipping at my residual limb when I get home and take my prosthetic leg off, leaving my sock covered limb available as I use the wheel chair to help me get around. This unacceptable behavior usually only happens after dinner. Luckily my sister is living with me now but not planning to stay forever. HELP, what can I do to correct this unacceptable behavior?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

'You will want to get down a firm leave it command and use that when you see the dog heading for you. Also a firm down stay on her bed will help. To get firm stays, you need to remember to give a release command so the dog knows the command is over, otherwise they get up on their own.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Redirecting the behavior to retrieving something for you, then rewarding her for doing so, will also help. It does not matter what you send her to get, you just want to redirect the behavior of going after you.