Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

5 yr old - 2nd generation Cockerpoo, never any problems until

Customer Question

5 yr old - 2nd generation Cockerpoo, never any problems until last autumn when due to me having to do lot of Hosp: visiting separation anxiety kicked in.He had always slept down stairs & had no problem with noises.
Now refuses to sleep downstairs & and any bangs- from bird scarer's,fireworks, building works, car door slams etc & he trembles head to toe, tail between legs and drags me home. He won't even wee in garden so I have to take him out.
Tried Adaptil collar some success initially but not now.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.Some dogs develop destructive behaviors such as breaking through windows, destroying crates, chewing holes in walls and destroying sofas in their frantic efforts to cope with feelings of abandonment. Some other dogs may go on hunger strikes or even begin using the bathroom in the house to cope with their feeling of being alone Dogs with serious separation anxiety issues may need medication as well as behavior modification help from a professional dog behaviorist. Look for a board-certified veterniary behavorist (ACVB) or certified applied animal behaviorist. As for references from your vet. You need solid guidance from someone properly trained to assist you and your dog. You might also want to consider using a product made specifically for dogs with anxiety. A couple of these things would be: Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information. Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's office..you can also find them online at places like Amazon.com and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions. When I'm working with an anxiety dog, I generally start with the collar, and then add in the melatonin if I don't see a change within a week or so. You can also talk to your vet about getting him on some medications such as Clomicalm to help take the edge off his anxiety when you're not with him. If Benji gets along with other dogs, it might not be a bad idea to get him a companion. If the anxiety stems from being alone in the house, and he only acts like this when left alone, then getting him a friend to hang out with during the day could be the trick. Of course, I know that not everyone is in the market for a second dog, so consulting the behaviorist may be the only option to getting this under control before he destroys your house or hurts himself. I hope this helps.