Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a female staffy pup age 9 months and a female 9 year

Customer Question

I have a female staffy pup age 9 months and a female 9 year old cattle dog throughout the day they pretty good together they will play together and maybe sometime sleep next to each other. But when i go outside to play with them or come home from work they will start to fight with each other until i yell at them or spray them with water to make them stop. It is like they are fight to see who will get the attention first. What can i do to stop this? Angela
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Angela,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The quickest way is to start strict obedience training with them. In this way you can give them commands to keep them apart when you first get home and only reward them with attention or treats when they listen to the commands. This will help them not fight for the attention that you are giving for no reason.

It will also help if you always show attention first to the alpha dog. That dog would normally be the older dog, but staffys can be quite dominant and she may feel she is the better choice for leader. If that leader change has occurred, then she should get attention first all the time. This helps the other dog see that you recognize that dog as the boss of the dogs and helps keep the peace better.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Train the dog that seems to be the aggressor first, then the other dog. Unfortunately, you will then have to repeat the training once more when you put the dogs together. Dogs tend to revert once they are around other dogs. Be sure the treats you use are high value treats like hot dog slivers or liver pieces and not boring store bought treats.

Spaying the younger pup could help reduce aggression from her if she is still intact. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . I do have to go to the hospital shortly for a family member's surgery, but I can respond to additional concerns when I return.

I'm following up to find out how things are going and to see if my answer was helpful to you. If it was, please take this opportunity to rate me positively.