Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a 5year old husky that will not stop peeing in my

Customer Question

i have a 5year old husky that will not stop peeing in my house. She has a yard she can do to she gets let out she is created when we are not home and has no issues in the crate. She will pee and poop when not supervised. I dont want her living in her crate. My husband is at her wits end she has ruined our carpet and we just put new carpet in and she has managed to get into a room to pee on it even when we blocked it.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Let me see that I have this correctly. The dog is crated during the day and does NOT eliminate in her crate. Once released, she will go outside if you take her out. However, if someone isn't with her all the time inside, she will sneak away and eliminate.
Is that correct?
Does she always go in the same room?
When the carpet was changed, did they replace the padding and flooring underneath?
What were you using to clean up after her?
What signal does she use to let you know she needs to go out?
What obedience training has she had?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
She has gone in almost every room in the house. When we replaced the carpet we scrubbed the subfloor before having new pad and carpet laid. She does generally pee in the same spot. I use my carpet cleaner to clean the floors. The new carpet has been in place for 2 weeks and she has peed at least 4 times. She will do this if she is mad or just feels like it. we just randomly let her out with the other dogs she will go to the door most of the time or bark at us. We did most of the training with her. she has never been abused or anything i got her as a 10 week old puppy. She has been aggressive with my other dogs nothing routine just random and food aggression can be triggered. She definitely has the husky temperament.
Jacustomer,
Let me go over a few things. Urine has protein in it. The protein is what creates the odor. The odor of fading urine tends to draw a dog back to an area to reurinate in that place. Dogs will use urine to mark an area as theirs and warn other dogs away from an area or just send a message that they are the boss. Removing that scent marking often will help stop the remarking of an area.
The problem with removing the scent is that you really need an enzymatic cleaner that breaks down the protein to totally remove the smell. Other cleaners fool the human nose, but a dog's nose is so much more sensitive that regular cleaners don't mask that odor from a dog. The other thing that many owners don't think about is that the urine goes through the carpet, down into the padding, hits the subflooring and spreads out in a much larger area than the top wet spot and will soak down into the actual subfloor material especially if it is some of the newer osb board type of material.
So it is very important to be sure any accidents are cleaned up properly. The second thing is to give her a clear way of alerting you that she has to go out to eliminate. Put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out. When she does that, even if it is an accident, you need to immediately let her outside to eliminate and give her calm praise and even a tasty treat for eliminating outside when she does. It would be best if you can go out with her so you can reward the actual elimination with a hot dog sliver. Dogs seem to love those so they become motivated to do whatever it takes to have you give them.
The other thing you can do is put her on a 6-8 foot leash and attach the other end of the leash to your belt. This helps prevent her from sneaking off to eliminate and also keeps her used to being with you where ever you are. It prevents the behavior and breaks the habit as well while you are teaching her to ring the bell and "want" to let you know she needs to go out. They might start alerting you just to get the treat, but once it becomes habit for them to let you know, they don't necessarily need that motivation to alert you.
We know she CAN hold her bladder as she does when she is crated, so we have to teach her to always alert you. Now the other thing that you can do is start feeding her and giving her water at specific times only. A dog does need to have water down all the time if they have any kidney issues, but otherwise, allowing them to drink several times a day as much as they want is ok though if a dog is outside in the heat, they should have water available all the time while outside.
A dog should drink at least a cup of water per 8 pounds of body weight each day to give you an idea of how much fluid she'll need. Keep a log of when you give water and food then record when she has to urinate and defecate. You will see a pattern develop after a couple of days. Use that pattern to help ensure she is outside during those times when she is most likely going to need to urinate based on her previous patter. This helps her succeed more, allowing you to reward her more and help the lesson be learned even quicker.
Obedience training can also help by establishing you as the ultimate boss and thus the territory is yours and not hers. If it isn't hers, she shouldn't be marking it. That can be difficult for a dog to get since humans don't "mark" their territory. However, it does help stop marking behavior by obedience training your dog in some cases. So let me give you some sites that help you learn to teach your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html
Now it is going to take work and frequently it is a combination of techniques done together that end up correcting a situation, so do as many as you can together.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Angi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?