Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

How do you control excessive barking. I have tried all kinds

Customer Question

How do you control excessive barking. I have tried all kinds of methods. I have used a dog controller that every time she barks I press a button that emits a high pitched sound that only she can hear. It only makes her bark more. ????? I have heard from others that it worked for me. She gets very agitated at anything new she sees inside the hose or outside. She does not like new things and barks at all of them. She notices anything out of place and barks. She watches through the window and barks at anything and everything,
cars people, bicycles even a sign in the yard if has not been there before ???????? What do I do?????
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jacustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
As you have found out, ultrasonic bark devices are not as effective as other no bark devices. Those devices use an unusual sound to distract the dog and they become used to the noise and start ignoring it. I'll talk more on other devices later.
We adopted a barker 10 years ago. He is now 16 but then he barked constantly even at the wind, so I understand you are being driven crazy.
Here is what worked for us. We left his leash on in the house attached to a chain collar. Each time our dog barked inappropriately we gave a quick tug correction to distract him, said "no bark" and had him sit. After a few corrections right in a row, he would finally stop barking for a second. When he didn't bark I'd give him a treat. Hot dog slivers work best. By the end of a couple of weeks, he had reduced his barking significantly. We did go through a lot of treats.
We did this over the course of a month all together, giving treats for non barking and eventually phasing out the treats and using praise instead with a treat only once in a while. Now he rarely ever barks.
As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach Lady the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.
http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html
You also have the option of getting a more effective bark collar such as citronella spray collar or shock bark collar. If you are hesitant to use a shock collar, ask the salesman to let it shock you first so you can see that the intensity of the shock is not bad and that it is the unexpectedness of it that stops the unwanted behavior. Now it sounds like you may have a training collar. The problem with the training collar is that it depends on a human pressing the button and thus the "correction" might be delayed where the automatic bark collars are immediate after a warning tone.
Also teach her other ways of letting you know she wants to go out. Put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out.
These methods are ones that have proven to be effective at helping control excessive barking so I'm confident they will be helpful. I do need to mention that it often takes a couple of techniques combined to help stop unwanted behavior.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?