Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

Our 2.5 yr old Labradoodle is a wonderful dog and we've had

Customer Question

Our 2.5 yr old Labradoodle is a wonderful dog and we've had no problems. We followed our normal routine Friday night with no problems. On Saturday, the dog refused to go down the hallway to the bedroom, and has not gone into the hallway since. He absolutely refused to step into the hallway. We have not forced him but this is highly unusual behavior for a dog who loves to be wherever we are. He is fine elsewhere and his normal playful self. My guess is something/one scared him while we were out by possible knocking on the window -- any other guesses? Recommendations for helping him feel comfortable again?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

usually when this happens suddenly they something did scare him or he got hurt while in the area. Do you have carpet or a wood flooring type in the hallway?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have wood flooring in the hallway, there is a carpet runner. I agree that something must have scared him while we were out . We just don't know what or how.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions on how long it might take, or what we can do to help him feel comfortable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are still there or did my initial question get answered with info I already knew?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I am here, the site showed you as being offline.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What you may have to do is recondition her to the hallway, but that can take some time. Use some behavior modification to do this.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

sometimes though, if there is another dog that gets along with your dog that will go down the hallway in a playful mode , your dog may follow the lead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** thought we'd just give him some time and/of have another dog around. Nice to know we're on the right track. Anything we should avoid?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I might try bringing in the other dog first because that would seem like a more pleasant atmosphere to help recondition.

I would not coax or coddle with soft talk as this can make the behavior worse

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes too when you clicker train the commands in the house you may be able to get the dog to go down the hall on command

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, good to know about the soft talk, we don't do that usually but he looks "sad" that he can't follow us
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

There is a video of a trainer reconditioning to a floor, let me see if I can find that for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CCJxF-9U4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've done clicker training before too. Might do that for awhile on something fun and then move to the hallway. Thanks again...it was a sudden change and we really don't know what happened.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

That video will give you some idea of how to do it without force and in a relaxed way

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Just be sure the treat is worth making the effort for, so no regular dog biscuits,up it to turkey dog slivers or liver

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thanks for the help. Sounds like we're on the right track. I'm not aware of any behavioral issues with Labradoodles and he's been such an easy dog thus far.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Ah they are a great breed! I have tested many for Therapy work, they have the personality for that!