Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I have a 16'x8' dog run in my yard I started out with 2 dogs

Customer Question

I have a 16'x8' dog run in my yard I started out with 2 dogs both male and both over a year old at first they had no problem using the run but I added a female puppy to the family have had her a little over a week now up to the past few days they have all had no problem with the run but the last two days the two males wont go in the run. Is there anything I can do about this problem
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Jonca,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
So when you first got the puppy they were fine going in the run, but now after 5 days, they now don't want to go into the pen?
How old is the female pup?
How long are you leaving them in the run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The female is 11 weeks, and if they go into the run they are in for at least 20 to 30 min. The female has no trouble with it a goes right away the boys on the other hand seem to want no parts of the run now and started going in the house.
Johca1,
At first the thought of a new puppy might have drew them in, but once that initial curiosity faded, they would start to think about where the mother of the pup was. Most dogs will shy away from a puppy for a little while thinking that the mom is somewhere near. It is relatively normal for this to occur.
However, the only thing to ease that situation is to continue to have them around her until they realize there is no adult dog around to protect her and they don't have to worry about that type of an attack. The fastest way to accomplish that is to put them all in the run for a few hours during an appropriate cooler time like early morning or late evening.
They will get used to her and not display the same hesitant behavior around her. You might also try only adding one dog in with her first so those two bond before adding the third. Often adult dogs will gang up on another dog and possibly scare her. One at a time will help them adult easier and faster.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.