Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My 5 month old female Scottie is pooping in her crate at about

Customer Question

My 5 month old female Scottie is pooping in her crate at about 3:30 am. I am having a difficult time potty training her and Crate training her. Sometimes she is eating the poop. He brother from the same litter is doing very well and is generally calmer than her.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Can I ask where you where you got the puppies from?Are they in different crates?How is it that you are trying to potty train her?When is their last feeding? Do you have a normal crate or an extended crate for her? Where is the crate kept?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crate is in my living room. My puppies are in separate crates but right next to each other. I am walking them 2 times per day and letting out in the yard. The dog walkers let them out or walk them when it isn't to hot. They eat between 6 and 7 pm. The eat in the morning at about 5 am also. She has pee accidents as well in the crate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have had a few different pet sitters and I have caught them doing some things I did not care for I have fired them.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure you are online or not. Generally much depends on where the dog came from as to how it takes to crating. What you may have to do is get them out every two hours , give a potty command and give this even as the pup is going potty. You want them to associate the command with the act. When done praise and give a great reward such as a hot dog sliver. This is the only time they get this reward so it is special and then they learn that if they want it they potty outside. When pups go outside they are scared by everything so then they sometimes do not full go to the bathroom. I might also just feed in the AM the bulk of the food with a very light snack at 7 pm. The reason I asked where they come from is sometimes rescues or pet store pups come from mills where they learn in order to survive they must pee and poop in the area they live. Generally dogs do not like to mess up their den. I also wonder about how care takers are contributing to the dog feeling like they are only safe going inside the crate. How does the caretaker handle the dog that does not potty or if they come in and find the dog has messed in the crate. That too has a lot to do with potty training. Another possibility is Separation anxiety as many dogs will eliminate in the home when they have SA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the sitters gave her anxiety she was not doing it initially. Her eating It started about 5 weeks ago. She some intermittent accidents in the crate and I caught one of the pet sitters sticking her back in the crate to smell it. They were fired immediately. Also they were late alot. The came from a puppy store.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
The only way to handle this is to take the dog out more often, limit access to when the dog is around to roam the house and try steps for separation anxiety
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Feeding the dog in the crate as well can help .Also clean all areas where the dog has gone and toss kibble there so the dog sees it as an eating place.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I just saw your post regarding the sitter sticking the dogs nose in the crate to smell it. That is absolutely the wrong thing to do as you well know and that person should have been fired as that now makes your job even harder! I am also just seeing that they are pet store puppies which mean they came from a mill. Sadly these are not the best situations and dogs end up with life long mental trauma as well as instinct trauma. Instinct trauma is when the dog will do something even though it goes against the dogs natural instinct. The natural instinct of a dog is to keep their den clean. When dogs are in a puppy mill they pick up many habits due to lack of food (therefore eating feces) lack of human interaction (Separation anxiety and other anxieties) and lack of basic pack behavior. You are already seeing the difference between the brother and her , his mentality is stronger, a true survivor, she may have gotten a really rotten deal when penned up with 12 other dogs in a small crate. That is why she is a bit more anxious. This will take time and patience, much patience. Make sure to hire people who understand dog behavior or she will have trouble all her life. Here are steps for Separation anxiety. IF the male dog is doing okay and is calm, I would be more suspicious of SA. Separation AnxietyCopyright: Sally GGenerally dogs with SA lack self esteem and you can help to build self esteem through daily positive obedience training and the more short sessions you can do in a day the better. Through that training you want to get a good ‘down stay’, meaning the dog should not get up until a release command is given. This means you need to start training this at a close distance to the dog just a few feet at first and try to give a release command before the has time to get up as this allows the to succeed in what you have asked. The goal is to eventually be able to put the in a down stay while you move out of site. This will start the process of the dog learning to be alone. Continue training throughout the dog’s life to keep from backslides. This does not mean it has to be formal, like every day at 2:30, it means to ask for a command anytime you are with the dog and be sure the dog can succeed at giving it to you for praise or a treat. This is all to build self confidence. I would also invest in some mind stimulating toys such as the talk to me treat ball, ( this is a ball that you can hide treats in and as the dog rolls it a recording of your voice is played) the Kong stuffed with cream cheese and frozen, the buster cube where kibble or treats are placed inside, and dog puzzles. This is all to keep her mind occupied while you are away from home. I have also found success in filling a large Gatorade bottle with the daily kibble as it lasts a long time as they try to get the food out. You will have to change your routine a bit so the dog never really knows if you are coming or going. I would start this training on a weekend or at a time you don’t have work or any appointments and I would do it all day long. What you are going do is change your behavior which the dog has learned means you are about to leave. Whatever your routine entails prior to you normally leaving are things you want to change. This means everything from taking that morning shower before work to picking up your keys and leaving the house. Some find it helpful to make a list of things they normally do before leaving because humans are so automated we do things that we don’t even realize, but the dog picks them up as cues. You want to do these things all throughout the day preferable for a couple of days in a row, but never really leave the home for hours at a time. So pick your keys up, jiggle them a little and put them down again , put your coat on walk around the house a bit and take it off, get dressed for the day then get redressed for bed. If you take a shower in the morning each day change that to a night time shower and interchange them on days you are home or away. Do not give good byes or hellos. Do not acknowledge the dog for at least 15 minutes before you leave and after coming home. Soft talk and acknowledgement of a dog that is acting nervous is actually rewarding to that dog. When you think about training a dog, we ask for something from them, they do it, we praise them. When it comes to doggie habits, they paw our arm and we pet them, so it works because the reinforcement of petting was immediate. When you acknowledge a scared dog with petting or soft talk it is actually a reward and so the behavior continues and gets worse over time. When training in commands to succeed I find it helpful to use the clicker (which can be found in any pet store) as it is used as a marker over the person’s voice. Sometimes when humans train strictly with their voice , their frustration comes out and the dog hears that, which then makes the dog more nervous. So clicker training is simply giving the dog a command and waiting for the dog to complete that command, they use the clicker as a market that tell the dog they did the right thing then praise & reward. Sometimes the clicker noise frightens a dog so in that instance you will want to use your voice as the marker but keep it to one word such as “Yes.” There are also clickers that make a louder sound and some that are softer so play around and see if one will work for your dog. The clicker costs about 3 dollars in a pet store and if you cannot find a treat bag for your belt use an old fanny pack. Not quite as stylish but it worksJ For reward I prefer very small soft treats so there is nothing that can crumble to the ground when chewed. When items like biscuits are used and the fall out of the dog’s mouth to the floor it takes the dog’s attention off of you. Items you may want to try along with training: a thunder/anxiety wrap, a DAP diffuser, ( I have heard through customers that the diffuser works better in home situations than the collar) You may want to try over the counter Melatonin but always consult your vet before using any over the counter meds. I usually use this for dogs with anxiety to noise and separation. There are also a CD’s out called Through A Dogs Ear found on Amazon that I have found helpful to my own dogs in having them rest more peaceably. Keep in mind that a dog with a case of separation anxiety is normally attached to the owner so getting another dog to help with separation anxiety may not help the dog at all, but cause you more headaches. However I also say “never say never” especially if you have adopted an older dog because you may not know if that dog was actually attached to another animal before it came to live with you so it would not do any harm to having a family member or friend’s dog stay with your dog for a couple of days to see if it helps. Below are sites to aid you in finding what I have mentioned above . http://www.clickerlessons.com/ video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm More Separation Anxiety tipshttp://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx Melatonin found in drug stores by vitaminshttp://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx DAP Diffuserhttp://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-DAP-Plug-In/dp/B000J3HZWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359418808&sr=8-1&keywords=dap+diffuser Through a dogs earhttp://www.amazon.com/Through-Dogs-Ear-Canine-Companion/dp/B003C1F1PI/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982686&sr=1-2&keywords=through+a+dogs+ear Anxiety wraphttp://www.amazon.com/American-Kennel-Club-Anti-Anxiety-Stress/dp/B00C3HHAPG/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982713&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=anxiety+wrap mind stimulating toys talk to me treat ballhttp://www.amazon.com/Talk-To-Me-Treatball-Record/dp/B000J2C430/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982774&sr=1-2&keywords=talk+to+me+treat+ball Kong these work great when stuffed with cream cheese and frozenhttp://www.amazon.com/KONG-Extreme-Dog-Large-Black/dp/B0002AR0II/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982805&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+dog+toys Buster cubehttp://www.amazon.com/Buster-Food-Cube-Large-Colors/dp/B0006G54OU/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982864&sr=1-2&keywords=buster+cube Dog Puzzles. If you just type in dog puzzles on amazon you will come to a page full. I just happened to pick this one . PetCo also carries dog puzzles. http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Ottosson-Brick-Interactive/dp/B001KZ4WJE/ref=sr_1_23?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982918&sr=1-23&keywords=dog+puzzles+for+large+dogs More Separation Anxiety tipshttp://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I see you have viewed the answer. I want to make sure that everything is understood or do you still need help or explanation.