Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I adopted a rescue dog about a month ago. She is about two

Customer Question

I adopted a rescue dog about a month ago. She is about two years old and is a happy loving well mannered dog in every way EXCEPT she will not potty outside. She has chosen to do her business in the basement on a cement floor. Is there any way I can convince her that the outdoors would be more acceptable?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Do you know how she was trained prior? When you say back to basics please explain exactly how you are doing this? Will she eliminate at all outside?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have gone offline so I will try to answer you the best I can with the information you have given. But certainly feel free to come back and continue our conversation if needed. I know sometimes life gets busy and takes us away from the computer:) I will be notified via email of any reply you will have:)
Because this is a rescue, we really don’t know for sure how she was trained. For all we know the former owner rubbed her nose in it when an accident was found. Doing this will unfortunately lead to a dog that hides its eliminations from the owner. Going potty near the owner means bad things happen.
You are right to start over but in her case, giving her full run of the home when you know she will have an accident is actually setting her up to fail and we don’t want tot do this . We want to set her up to succeed so she is more likely to continue trying.
If you cannot watch her 100% of the time she should be crated or tethered. Dog s do not usually like to go where they eat or sleep.
Continue to take her out every four hours , give her a potty command and if she actually eliminates continue to give the command so she associates that command with the act of eliminating outside. Then praise , and reward with a memorable treat. Something such as hot dog slivers or chicken slivers. But make it something she only gets at this time so it is seen as special. We want her to see potty outside means something great comes her way.
Also, try to set a defined area up outside using small fencing, or little flags and take her to that area for going potty. Sometimes a defined area acts as a good visual cue for a dog.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.