Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

My 10 year old toy poodle dislikes or is scared of a new toy

Customer Question

My 10 year old toy poodle dislikes or is scared of a new toy poodle puppy. Both are females . I also have a 10 yr old male that is doing fine with the puppy. What to do to help older dog calm down and eventually interact rather than avoiding the new puppy. It has been 2 weeks now that this behavior has continued. I did not get the puppy to make my older dog miserable. Will time cure this?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
This is perfectly normal and in time as the puppy grows and learns manners and dog socialization skills your elder will be more inclined to accept it. Right now have a safe haven for your elder to retire to so it is not forced to interact with the puppy.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Young pups are not well versed in dog socialization and tend to carry things to far and an older dog may have aches and pains that limit their movement.As well young pups are unpredictable to other dogs and some dogs can roll with the punches others cannot.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Start training the puppy in obedience in the home for now until you are given the okay to take it in public by your Vet. Once the pup starts to learn some manners the elder may be more accepting of it because you will have it all under control. I would use clicker training with very yummy treats such as hot dog slivers to keep your pups attention. Keep training short, 15 minutes but do it several times a day so that you are seen as a consistent leader to the pup and to the other dogs in the home:)
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.