Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a 1 year old rescue Collie/cattle dog mix that I adopted

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old rescue Collie/cattle dog mix that I adopted from Rescue Assoc.
The dog was 1 of 8 puppies born to mother.
THe dog was adopted at 6 months and lived with family for 6 months and then they gave it back to rescue place.
I adopted 2 months ago.
He is very skittish, very scared around anyone but me. He will hide under bed and stay there all day. Or hide under outside deck for 3 days or so in a row and won't come out.
I put food and water out when this happens and he always eats it sometimes at nite.
The dog likes to curl up in a corner. Not social at all and will not come when called.
The dog never barks.
He is very sweet and very attached to me. I travel and have to leave him with dog sitter or board him and very concerned he doesn't eat or move all day.
Help I love this dog and don't know what to do going forward.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I may have to sign off for a few hours but I will be back. I hope you can be patient.
Is he neutered?
Does he drink?
How is he on the leash?
Have you done any obedience training with him?