Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a 17yr old Maltese. Recently we got a new puppy (Yorkie),

Customer Question

I have a 17yr old Maltese. Recently we got a new puppy (Yorkie), she is very playful, but the older Maltese does not want anything to do with her. She runs away and hide on the bed, evertime the puppy comes near her.
What can I do to get the Maltese to accept the puppy.
Thank you
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. This is very common when you pair an old dog to a young one . It is much like giving a human toddler with virtually no manners to your grandmother to watch:) It makes for a long day, sore bones, and exhaustion. Most older dogs will usually growl , snarl or bark at a youngster but some dogs, until the young one has been taught manners , want nothing to do with a puppy. What I suggest is that you set up a place for the puppy and the older dog by gating off the puppy to the kitchen or by crating the pup for some down time. For now keep their time that they must be together limited inside the home and save their together time for outside walks on the lawn so the puppy is leashed. You don't want your elder dog to feel isolated from you because of the pup. In the mean time, spend your time training the puppy in manners and I recommend a positive training known as clicker training. When you elder dog sees that you have the puppy under some control ,she will likely start spending more time with you and the pup.. Below are links to clicker training. For a puppy do it in short lengths of time but do it throughout the day as your schedule allows. Also invest in some mind stimulating toys/puzzles for the puppy as it helps to use the mind more and tires them out which will be a good time to have the two dogs together.l Once the pup is worn out a bit it is less likely to bother the elder one. You can find these on amazon.com by putting dog puzzles in the search. If there is anything you don't understand or have questions about please feel free to come back and ask. IF you are satisfied with my service please don't forget to rate before you leave:) Clicker training/positive method training/ print offhttp://www.clickerlessons.com/video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm