petdrz
petdrz, Other
Experience:  Dog Veterinarian Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our German wire hair will suddenly attack our small beagle

Customer Question

Our German wire hair will suddenly attack our small beagle without provocation. Family members feel we need to get ris of her but 98 o/o of the time she is a wonderful loving dog. Do you have any advice for us?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
.......
This can be a very dangerous situation, not only for your other dog, but for you as well. For that reason, I would tell you that it would not be possible to help resolve this problem in a online method such as this. Your time, money and effort are best spent working with a Certified Veterinary Behaviorist who has been highly trained on matters such as these. It can be very time consuming, but I have seen it work wonders in some situations that many thought were hopeless.
.........
Veterinary Behaviorists are trained to determine if the problem behavior is a result of a neurochemical imbalance, a medical condition, learned fearful associations, conflict or anxiety. A Veterinary Behaviorist takes into account the entire picture of health and welfare of an individual while working on resolving the behavior problem. Techniques not only include behavior modification, counter-conditioning, desensitization, environmental modification, proper positive reinforcement techniques and owner education, but also appropriate medications or supplements. In your case, since two pets are involved, it is also a critical part of the plan to have the behaviorist observe the interactions between not only family members, but pets as well.
......
Here is a link that may help you to further understand the benefit of working with a specialist and a second link to help you find one in your area. I think it will be well worth your while to explore this.
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Link 1Link 2
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

petdrz