Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I have a Maltese Terrier . He gets into the car no problems

Customer Question

I have a Maltese Terrier . He gets into the car no problems but he start to cry and shakes badly. When I take him out of the car he is fine. No problem Also when you have something that he has not seen before he will be scared of it and he starts to shake badly. Like when I receive a parcel or groceries. Kevin Landers.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
When he gets in the car and starts shaking is it after you are moving or before you ever move?
How many things does he become anxious over?
Do you try and reassure him when he seems anxious?
What have you tried to help him with this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both. Before I start moving and after. Anything he hasn't seen before he becomes anxious. All the time I hold him before I drive and reassure him and when I drive I pat him and talk to him.
JaCustomer,
Thank you for the additional information. It is helpful.
Unfortunately, when you reassure a dog when it is acting anxious, it is giving them attention. Patting them and talking to them leads to them exhibiting the behavior more often in order to get the same level of attention. So in essence, when you hold him and reassure him, pat him and talk to him, it encourages the behavior.
The correct way to approach unwanted behavior is to either give a short tug on a leash to get their attention and a firm "NO" to let them know you don't approve of the behavior or if you think they are scared to ignore the behavior. Tf they see you not reacting to a situation, then they think th situation is normal.
Now your dog has already gotten into the habit of shaking and acting anxious so you have to change that behavior. The best way would be to elicit a helper. Have the helper in the driver's seat and you sit next to the dog. When the dog jumps into the car, immediately feed a hot dog slice before he starts the anxious behavior and give him nice calm praise telling him he is a good boy. Don't move the car just yet, just sit there. You can start this without a helper by just getting in back with him.
If he starts displaying the unwanted behavior, ignore him until he stops no matter how long it takes. He may take a while since he expects a reaction from you, but don't give him one until he stops the behavior. When he stops even if just for a second give a treat and wait again. If he isn't anxious, reward him again then get out of the car and repeat this several times a day until just getting in the car does not cause him to act in that manner.
Once he isn't anxious sitting in the car, you can get your helper to move the car up and down the driveway repeating the same ignoring unwanted behavior and rewarding desired behavior. If it is strictly behavioral this should help the situation.
Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.
Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. If your dog experiences motion sickness, it can cause a dog to be anxious when faced with a car ride.
Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip. A DAP collar might also be helpful since it helps for anxiety. It is not a drug so can be used with medications if necessary.
Give these suggestions a try and see if you don't see improvement. The same technique can be used for other anxiety situations as well and the DAP collar will be helpful for them as well.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate you quick responce, I think there is more to Ollies problem, I will try your recommendation and if there is a improvement by the end of the next week I will gladly pay the bill, I ask that you be patient, thank you, ***** ***** will be a one payment only I do not want to be on a month to month payment, thanks Kevin
There may be more to it, but remember that it often takes a few different techniques combined to achieve the desired results. It does not appear that you are signed up for a subscription so this should be a one time payment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you an email about my account of $22 but you still went ahead an withdrew $22 from my account. I did explain. I want that payment RETURNED to my accont. Kevin landers.
JaCustomer,
I have no control over the money portion of the site. When you ask a question, it is my understanding that the amount you agreed to pay is taken from your account and placed as a DEPOSIT in your account here. I have not received any compensation for my response to you at all and did not expect to receive any compensation until you had a chance to try my suggestions. Once you rate positively, then the expert is paid their portion of the deposit. You can write***@******.*** to verify the way the site works though.