Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I HAVE APUP 15 MONTHS OLD WHO IS SO DISTRUCTIVE, ELECTRIC LEADS,

Customer Question

I HAVE APUP 15 MONTHS OLD WHO IS SO DISTRUCTIVE, ELECTRIC LEADS, CURTAINS AND THE LEAD WEIGHTS, DIGGING UP THE LAWN ETC. HELP
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
What breed is the pup?
What training has the pup had?
How many toys does she have?
Are they available all the time?
What kind of toys are they?
When does this happen?
I was hoping to receive a response to my request for more information, but I can give you some tips to help stop this behavior.
Get her some special toys like kongs with the treat compartments. Fill the compartments with peanut butter, yogurt or meat baby food that does NOT contain garlic or onions. Freeze it and give this to her to keep her occupied. If her mouth is busy with these, she won't be destroying other things.
With toys, you also need to rotate them putting half out at any one time or the dog gets bored with them. So rotate ever week.
Another solution is to leash her to you when you are home so she doesn't have the opportunity to destroy something. If she tries to chew on something, give a short tug to get her attention and a firm low toned "NO", so she understands it is unacceptable.
When you are unable to watch her closely or need to leave, crate her. If she is chewing on electric cords, it can lead to her death, so crating is for her own safety.
If you haven't done obedience work with her, I would start that. It is amazing how well most dogs calm down once they have some obedience training. .
The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.