Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have a chihuahua his name is ***** *****

Customer Question

hi my name is sandy i have a chihuahua his name is ***** ***** about 18 weeks old and live inside i am toilet training gizmo or trying to toilet train him i am using the puppy mats but gizmo only uses them once maybe twice and no more he is peeing on the carpet edge near the bathroom or he will also wee on the edge of the carport near the toilet i have tryed using sprays to stop him but nothing seems to be working .
do you have any helpful hint
sandy
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.
Dogs will only potty in one spot one or two times before they do not like the smell so the pads hold the smell in a bit and are not really big enough for the dog to get away from that smell so then they start to go in other areas of the home.
Also the pads are difficult to distinguish between anything else flat and soft laying on the floor such as a carpet. After a while it all becomes one big pad.
I might try moving to a big box of dog litter or a grass patch which is more detailed in it's feel and odor.
If that is not an option then gate off or get one of those inside kennels for dogs and lay newspaper all inside that kennel area and have her use that. As she gets better at going in one spot you can eventually start reducing the paper to a smaller area. But at this point she is still to young to get the whole potty thing in general let alone trying to stay on one pad. Also most dogs do not like to pee and poop in the same area so you may have to make two distinguishable areas.
When you set up a gated area for the potty area give her a potty command when you take her there, such as her name and go potty , continue to give this even as she is going. Once done praise and reward with a special treat such as a turkey dog sliver or dog liver piece so she associates that going in a particular place yields her a special treat. She is more likely then to repeat that behavior.
The pen or gate itself acts as a visual to the dog to go through to get to a potty area which is also important.