Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

I had to give my dog less food because he is gaining weight.

Customer Question

I had to give my dog less food because he is gaining weight. The same week i did that he has become aggressive.
Is that possible or a coincidence?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. Given the late hour here, it may not be until morning that I'm able to respond. I hope you can be patient.
What breed is your dog?
How old is your dog?
Is he neutered?
Can you explain how he has become aggressive?
The more specifics the better?
What obedience training has he had?
How have you tried to correct the issue?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping to get a response to my request for more information, but also don't want you to not have an answer. Depending on the type of aggression, it could be the result of reducing the amount of food he is getting. Dogs can become food aggressive if they feel they are not getting enough food so they can start protecting the food they do have.
In a lot of cases aggression is the result of and injury or health issue. You can read about some of these here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/medical-causes-of-aggression-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.apdt.com/veterinary/assets/pdf/Dodman_MA10.pdf
In other cases, a dog who has not had obedience training will believe they are their own boss and do not have to listen to their owner and will become more aggressive as you ask them to do things they don't want to do.
If you can give me the additional information, then I may be able to give you more specific information on the aggression and how to correct the situation.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.