Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My 7 mnth pom-a-poo dislikes my husband - who tries every day

Customer Question

My 7 mnth pom-a-poo dislikes my husband - who tries every day to gain his attention and affection, Jasper, my puppy, will play with him when I am around - however when they are alone, Jasper runs away and barks and growls at him, what can we do to change this behavior?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Has the dog had any obedience training?
Is he allowed on furniture?
What does he do when the dog does this?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping to get some responses to my request for additional information but I don't want you to go without answers either.
The quickest way to help the situation would be having your husband start obedience training with him. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions. The obedience training helps the dog know what to expect from your husband and thus reduce any fear based aggression which may be why he is barking and growling. He isn't sure what to expect from your husband when you are gone.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf
This training helps the dog learn that your husband is the boss and that he needs to obey him. The other thing that will help is if you allow your husband to take over all the chores associated with him such as feeding him, taking him for walks and even giving affection. It will be difficult for you since I know you love your Jasper, but it will only be temporary while he bonds with your husband. Keep a leash on him and if he tries to get on your lap, use the leash to take him off or keep him on the floor. Let him seek out your husband for affection. It will likely take him a week or more to start that, but once he does, the growling and barking should be reduce or eliminated. The leash can also be used to give a short tug and then a firm low toned NO should signal to the dog that the growls and barks are unacceptable.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.