Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have a 2yr old rescue chihuahua and when we take her outside

Customer Question

I have a 2yr old rescue chihuahua and when we take her outside all she does it run right back to the door. We have to pick her up and carry her back into the yard several times before she will potty. My other chi's go right out and do their business. How can I get her to do the same
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Do you take her out on leash or just open the door?
Does she go out with the other dogs or alone?
Do you have a potty command?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We open the door and carry her out into the yard and tell her to GO Potty.

There are 3 other small dogs that go out and potty. We have tried walking her around the back yard with the leash and she just looks at us.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. I might try taking her out alone, without the other dogs and on lead. Take her to a spot you know she has gone in before so the scent is there. Try staying in just that place and don't walk around. Give the the go potty and continue to give it as she is going, when done, praise and reward her with something special such as a hot dog sliver. We want her to associate going on command with a great reward so it entices her to go on command.
If she does not go the first time, then wait ten minutes and try again. If she is having any accidents in the hone then crate her when you bring her in, wait the ten minutes and try again. continue this until you catch her going and are able to reward her for it.
She may have trouble going in front of you because of the way she was trained in her former home. Keep in mind that when we rescue a dog we don't know truly what their life was like in a previous home. She could have been hit or her face rubbed in her urine for having accidents in her former home. When this is done the dog is then hesitant to go in front of humans because they begin to associate the scolding and hurt with urination and the human.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is doing much better. The "go potty" command and treat is really working well

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I am so happy to hear this! You are doing a wonderful job! If you are satisfied with my service please don't forge to rate! Wishing you much happiness with your all your Chi's!