Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We recently adopted a jack russel x terrier from the rspca

Customer Question

we recently adopted a jack russel x terrier from the rspca 6 weeks ago .he is fully trained in side ,but he constantly wants to escape despite numerous methods to deter him,we have made him a secure area with wire netting,wich he chewed through,We want to know how to keep our safe
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
What do you mean by a mesh fence?
Is that chain link or field fencing?
Perhaps you can send a link to fencing that looks like yours?
Is he succeeding at escaping?
Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have 2 gates both covered with wire netting, both very high gates.The back yard is completely fenced off.We have built tuffy a wire cage but he managed to chew threw the wire but it it is now reinforced with steel.we love our new little dog and want to keep him safe please help us
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. This is a common problem especially for adopted dogs. Many are at shelters or given away because they are runners and escape artists.
Chain link fencing is the most effective type of fencing usually since the wire is thick enough that most dogs can not chew it. However, chain link does give a lot of foot holds for climbers and also dogs can manage to pull it off the bottom rail and dig under.
There are a couple of ways to deal with these situations. You can add these metal angle braces to the poles or posts of the fence with them angled inward to your yard. You can then run chicken wire along those angles attaching the one side to the existing fence with wire tires so if a dog tries to climb over, they chicken wire prevents them going over the top.
The other thing you can do is take chicken wire and attach one edge to the bottom of the fence with wire ties for chain link or staples for wooden fences. You then lay the rest so it is flat on the ground and cover with a thin layer of dirt until the grass grows through the chicken wire. Dogs can't stand the feel of the chicken wire and stop digging.
You can also use a low voltage alternating current electric wire strung about 6 inches from the fence and 6 inches up and even attach a second strand along the top of the fence. This prevents the dog from getting close enough to dig or climb and you don't have to worry as much about how it looks. These are made for dogs and available at most hardware stores, pet stores and online. See one model here:
http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-SS-750RPX-AC-Powered-Electric-Animals/dp/B000VXYV6K?tag=forchromecom-20
I have a lot of rottweilers, an Alaskan eskimo dog and a chihuaha and use this type of electric wire inside my field fencing to keep them off the field fence and prevent the chihuahua from going through the field fencing the the rotties from just pushing it down. The kenneled rotties in chain link kennels used to pull the chain link up off the bottom rail and a wire along the bottom stopped this behavior completely. It also prevented them from running through the open gate since We can step over the wire but they are leary of the wire.
Once he is more familiar with home he may not want to leave as much especially if you include long fast paced walks several times a day into your routine. This will help keep him stimulated. These terriers need a lot of stimulating exercise to keep them content.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.