Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

My dog lately has acquired an aversion to sleeping in her

Customer Question

My dog lately has acquired an aversion to sleeping in her room, scratching at the door and whining etc. When I take her out at night I have to keep her on a leash or she'll hide from me in the bushes. The past couple of nights I've given in and left her
outside in our fenced yard.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
How long have you had her?
Is she asking to go out and then immediately back in or vice versa?
Any accidents in the house?
Any abnormal behavior?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping for a response from my request for more information, but I also want you to have an answer.
Often dogs will act in this manner when they have a health issue. They will seek cool dark places to lay away from the people they are closest to. So I would recommend a senior check up be done.
Another possible cause is Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) and has been seen in dogs much younger than your dog. There is a wonderful site that explains it well and also explains how to document your dog's behavior and discuss it with your vet.
The good news is that there is a drug called L-Selegeline (Anipryl (R)) which has been recently approved for use in the clinical indication of cognitive dysfunction (CDS) in dogs. Read this site for other drug choices.
http://www.2ndchance.info/CDS.htm
Please see this site for more information and other causes that may exhibit the same symptoms.
http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/applied-behavior/house-soiling-cognitive-dysfunction-syndrome?96m5sri9MY
I would schedule an exam as soon as possible for your dog. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.