Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Behaviorist /Trainer and Dog breeder 18+ years
2361900

MY DOG PEES INSIDE AND POOS INSIDE THEN IT RAINS, SHE HAS 2

Customer Question

mY DOG PEES INSIDE AND POOS INSIDE THEN IT RAINS, SHE HAS 2 WALKS A DAY AND A DOG FLAP TO THE OUTSIDE ANY TIME, SHE USED TO GO IN TWO ROOMS NOW THEY ARE BOLTED AND SHE IS GOING ON HALL CARPET
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Does she only go inside when it is raining?
Or does she also do it at night and other times?
What are you cleaning the "accidents" up with?
Does she do this when you are home or only when you are gone?
Do you take her for walks?
Do you go out with her or expect her to use the doggy door?
Hi JaCustomer,
I was hoping for responses back from my request for additional information. However, I want you to have answers as well.
The best way to house train a dog is to teach them to hold their bowels and bladder. Crate training accomplishes this best. You can read up on how to do this below:
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
Instead of gates on the stairs, it is often better to use an indoor fence system. Then the transmitter can be placed where you want and effectively keeps the dog in the area you want without depending on children or even adults to keep a gate or fence closed. See one here:
http://store.petsafe.net/pawz-away-indoor-pet-barrier
Cleaning the inside with a good ENZYMATIC pet odor remover also helps as it will eliminate the odor that draws the dog back to the place to eliminate again.
The other thing that can help is to keep a log of when you feed and give water to the dog. Don't free feed and water. Then keep a log of when the dog urinates and defecates. Over the course of a week or so you should see a pattern develop and then use that pattern to ensure the dog is outside when she needs to eliminate. If that is an inconvenient time, you can move the time you are feeding or watering to one when it would be convenient.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.