Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

BENTLEY is an 8 month old pom. I have had him weeks.

Customer Question

BENTLEY is an 8 month old pom. I have had him for 6 weeks. He is aggressive towards other dogs but fine with my 11 year old female pom. His aggression is growing to people and I am not sure what to do. He now has all his shots, and he was fixed last week.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
I see you are offline and I will be going off soon as well. I will try to answer you with the information you gave but please come back if there is something you do not understand. I will be notified in the morning of any replies you make.
Some dogs become aggressive due to fear, this is known as fear aggression. They want to prevent someone or another animal from coming too close to them. If the person/dog continues to move toward them (even if across the street) the dog sees that as a threat so the aggression or barking and lunging continue until the dog feels they have gotten their message across to stay away from them.
There is also an alpha aggression. This is a dog that holds a very different body language. Their ears are up and forward, their tails are out and straight, their chest is out and full and they look like they are secure.
You will have to determine if you have a fear aggressive dog or a possessive aggressive dog. Each would require different training. For instance both will require daily training in short sessions a few times a day in general obedience, however an alpha aggressive dog should also be put on a learn to earn diet. A fear aggressive dogs is trained to build its confidence so this is why we use positive obedience training such as clicker training , and a dog like this would require Behavior adjustment training (BAT) which would gradually bring him to a threshold he feels okay about being around people .
Either require a lot of work and if you can possibly get into a reactive rover class from the aspca or another training class that deals only in behavior it would benefit both of you.
At this point your best bet is to teach a good heel and a good leave it so the dog will stay close to you in a heel position and you will give the leave it command when you see another dog coming.
For people aggression, sadly people do things that are human nature for them when they want to show an animal they mean no harm. They usually look directly at the dog, offer a hand out or try to pet and continue talking to the dog. All of these are seen as threats or challenges to dogs so they react to those challenges. We have to learn how to handle dogs correctly going by their body language and their barking/growling. This is the only way they have to say “back off” I don’t trust you. Yet we punish or scold the dog for giving a warning. If we silence that then the dog becomes a silent and sudden biter .
It is always best to warn other humans that the dog is nervous and should be ignored by them until you can get to the point where the dog is not afraid of them.
I am going to direct you to a couple of links for training using the clicker and on how to train behavior adjustment, this should help you get started on the right path.
If it is alpha aggression then you need to put the dog on the learn to earn and I will post a copy of my article on that below as well.
As I said , if you have questions please feel free to come back and ask
Reactions to Actions or Learn to Earn
Copyright Sally G
In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well.
What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food.
You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again.
Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that.
Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this.
So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children.
Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them.
This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs.
As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward.
When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around.
Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it.So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive.
Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.
Clicker training/positive method training/ print off
http://www.clickerlessons.com/
video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm
Training method BAT http://empoweredanimals.com/