Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

MY THREE YEAR OLD MALE BICHON FRISE/SHIH TSU KEEPS PEEING IN

Customer Question

MY THREE YEAR OLD MALE BICHON FRISE/SHIH TSU KEEPS PEEING IN THE HOUSE AND GROWLS AT ME WHEN I PUT HIM IN HIS CRATE AFTER PEEING. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
When a dog has accidents inside the home and they come on suddenly, (meaning prior to it starting) you want to make sure there is nothing health wise causing it. Health problems that can cause this might be a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, diabetes, and if not neutered a prostate problem. If all the health issues come back clean then it is time to retrain.
I would ask that you stop punishing him as this can add to an already existing problem. IF you punish a dog even a few minutes after the act is done he does not associate your anger with his elimination, he just associates your body language and tone of voice with being mad at what ever is going on at that moment. So if nothing is going on he is just going to associate you approaching him angry all the time. This may be why he is growling at you.
So below is my article on starting over with potty training and since he growls at you when you crate him , if you do not feel safe, then put h is bed and water dish near a 10 foot tether and just tether him there. Do not put him there if you are angry though or you will have the same problem you now have with the crating of him. Let hem see a new you that he can trust has an even temperament no matter what happens.
POTTY TRAINING: starting over
Copyright Sally G
To start over the dog must not have run of the home because by allowing this you are setting him up to fail. It is important he be kept in a crate or on a tether next to his bed and food bowls as dogs do not like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. If you can’t watch him 100%, he must be contained. Sometimes when people get busy around the house, they actually tether the dog to them so they can watch them.
Clean all areas you know that he has gone with a cleanser made just for dog urine or he will be attracted back to those spots. (do not use ammonia products)
Take him out via a leash and give a potty command, such as “go potty,” and continue to say go potty even as he is eliminating, so he associates the command with the act. Once he is done, praise and reward, but the reward must be special and something he will only get when he potties outside, so he associates this with that command and the act. Something like hot dog slivers work well, or cheese chunks.
Puppies should be taken out every two hours as well as after play, nap, and eating. Sometimes, a puppy gets involved in what is going on around it that the pup actually forgets that they have to eliminate until it is too late. Also pups outside become distracted by wind, shadows, noises, etc. so it is important to redirect them if you feel that they are not finished going, or when you bring them back inside then crate them, wait ten minutes and take them out again.
Inside the home, once you have cleaned all areas the dog has eliminated in, start to sprinkle some of his kibble or treats in those areas, so he begins to see them as an eating area. Eventually you can replace that with small bowls of water until he is trained
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi A Renee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ashton Kutcher. How is everything going?

Sally G.