Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

I have a pom-chi mix. she won't eat, and is very needy today

Customer Question

I have a pom-chi mix. she won't eat, and is very needy today for some reason -- pawing to get picked up which is odd...won't leave our side. She isn't shaking or whining... rather barking at us for attention. Not sure what the issue is -- she doesn't seem sick -- more like scared?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...Has there been anything unusual going on in the house today?Could she have been frightened by anything?Is she spayed?Is she eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing unusual
Nothing that would have frightened her -- she's not typically a scared dog
No, not spayed
Not eating or drinking. She did poop/pee this morning during our walk.
Her stomach is growling won't even take a treat just to put something in her belly. Very out of sorts pawing to get picked up, barking at me to pay attention ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BUT not shaking
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Do you know when her last heat was?Has she had any new food, treats or people food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
um... maybe 2 months ago
No new food/treats etc... nothing out of the ordinary. Even happy and playful last night before bed... this just started around 3am this morningFull moon mean anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel like she's sick, but worries me when she won't eat -- we try anything at that point. the growling happens a few times a month, but usually give her a bit of steak or something savory just to get her to 'want' to eat... now the combination of the odd behavior is concerning.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.My concern is that she could have something like a uterine infection brewing.Female dogs who have been in heat in the last month or two that then start to act 'odd', can be the first sign that this infection (called a pyometra) is starting. This can be fatal if left untreated.The good news is that if that is what is going on....and that the not wanting to eat/drink and being clingy is the beginning of this...we've caught it incredibly fast. Most people don't notice anything until the dog is really, really sick. So if this were me, I'd give my vet a call and have them take a quick peek. If this is an infection, and we caught it super early, they'll be able to get her on some antibiotics and get her feeling better. This will save the cost of an expensive surgery a little further down the line.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing about what I read on pyometra is similar to her situation -- no discharge, to incessant licking of her back end. What on earth would give you the impression of such a significant problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not ONE of these are behavior that she is exhibiting right now other than not eating.Early signs that you may notice are that your dog is:
•licking her back end more than normal
•off colour
•off her food
•drinking more than normal (and will probably urinate more)These signs will progress and you may see:
•Pus (yellow/red/brown discharge) from her vulva
•She may have a swollen abdomen
•Vomiting
•Collapse
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
There are two kinds of pyometras...open, where you see the discharge and the incessant licking....and closed...where there is no discharge, no licking, and no sign, other than a change in behavior.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jody,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lily is 100% back to normal -- eating, playing... nothing seems to be an issue. We have scheduled her to be fixed which should identify any issues and prevent any issues in the future.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
That's great! I'm happy to hear that Lily is feeling like her old self!
Please make sure you rate/accept my answer so I get credit from the wesbite for working with you...and give Lily a smooch for me!