Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a 1 year old blue heeler he's tiny (30 pounds) he's

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old blue heeler he's tiny (30 pounds) he's very neutered and is the most loving smart baby and adores our 2 and a half year old . He's very protective of us, recently my toddler and picked up pulling and yanking him, he growls and nips hands also will sometimes get a really aggressive tone and face then run away. I'm worried and have been trying to hard to get my two year old to stop teasing but he hasn't stopped and really just wants attention and love from our blue heeler! Now our blue heeler has grown somewhat angry and scared of him
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.what training has your heeler had as far as obedience training goes?Your toddler is pulling on the dog?Has your dog bitten your toddler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had no professional obedience training. I clicker trained him , which he learns a new task/trick within 10 minutes of working on one thing! He's very smart. He is pulling on him in his own way of petting like bundling his hair n scratching , chief hates it , also doesn't like his paws touched or tail both are rlly sensitive so if he grabs his paw he growls n shows some teeth (sometimes). He has nipped his hand , not leaving even a scratch but still scared me to death. He also does not do well with other children, but was always very loving and protective of our son, probably because we got chief when my son was one and the blue heeler was 4 months old
ok. Chief needs a lot of obedience training. You can use the clicker training if you want or the method I'm going to give you. It really doesn't matter which but he needs a lot of obedience training. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf He has to be taught to stay away from the toddler. Usually you start when the children are babies but you missed that window. Use the commands to call him away from your son. Start teaching him to stay at least 3 feet away from your son. Keep a leash on him. If he gets too close, give him a short tug and a firm low toned no and move him away from your son. When the dog stops 3 feet away from your son, reward him with a treat like a hot dog sliver. He will learn what you are trying to teach him especially since you say he is so smart. In addition, you have to teach your son how to interact with a dog. He should have been taught young NOT to tug on a dog or pull on them. Dogs do not like hugs or kisses contrary to what many people seem to think. Right now, your dog sees your son as someone that needs reprimands because your dog doesn't see you reprimanding him for his bad behavior. So the dog is taking over the role of educating your son and reprimanding him. Dogs reprimand with growls and if those are ignored, nips and then bites. So it is important to teach your son not to do certain things to your dog. You also need to show the dog that you are teaching him and reprimanding him for what the dog feels is bad behavior. Let me give you a site on child /dog interactions http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/kids-and-dogs-how-kids-should-and-should-not-interact-with-dogs With obedience training the dog and teaching your child to not interact with the dog in unacceptable ways, the problem should be resolved. I would also recommend a basket style muzzle for a little while to ensure no bites occur especially when children are present. I think you can get him under control, but it is going to take work with both the dog and your child. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have ..