Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

Why would my puppy want to chew on the wood of furniture?What

Customer Question

Why would my puppy want to chew on the wood of furniture?
What can I do to keep my puppy from chewing on clothes?
He has toys but they last approximately 5 mins. and he's chewed
them apart!
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
hello and thank you for using this site to help you.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Puppies generally chew out of boredom and it is important to get them mind stimulating toys as well as chew toys
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
It is also important to get chew toys made for puppies as they are a bit softer on the new teeth. You can get kongs and fill them with cream cheese, freeze them so they last longer. This will stimulate the dogs mind and satisfy the need to chew in a safe manner
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If you go on amazon and type in dog puzzles you will see many mind stimulating toys. The buster cube , the treat dispensing ball, the wiggle ball and puzzles where the dog has to lift the pieces to retrieve the treats. As well, you want to train your puppy now in obedience and I would train in short sessions several times a day as your schedule allows as this also uses the mind and tires the dog. A tired dog is less likely to be destructive.Crating the dog when you cannot watch it is also helpful. You can put toys in the crate with him and this will save your wood. Puppies do explore their world with their nose and their mouth so chewing is part of that exploration. Most dogs in general like to chew on wood, and many like to eat plaster and wall board so that is something to keep in mind.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need further help with this.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to a variety of dog puzzles http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+puzzles
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If you need help with a training site to get started please let me know
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
to protect your furniture and clothes you can get a product called Grannicks bitter Apple and spray that on. It does need to be reapplied though almost daily.