Sally G.
Sally G., Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Service /assistance dog trainer,Therapy dog evaluator and trainer, AKC evaluator, pet first aide and member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My 3 year-old Bloodhound is in training to be certified as

My 3 year-old Bloodhound is in training to be certified as a therapy dog. She has made good progress and sits and stays well and is learning loose-leash walking and keeps her focus and makes good eye contact despite distractions.

However, she becomes hard to manage when other, strange dogs are in the picture.

Can you help with a training tip?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Do you just have her sit and wait or do you then do something else?

Sally G. :

Does she know the command leave it?

Sally G. :

What type of training do you do and is it in a class or are you doing it on your own?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have her sit and wait at doorways and release her when I nhave passed through the doorway. I have just started the "leave it" command and use it during loose-leash waking training.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Chat was not working correctly so I switched over to normal Q and A

Thank you Mark for that information. I am a therapy dog Evaluator so it is imperative to get this part under control . What I tell people is to get the leave it down 100% and heel down, then rather than sit your dog or down the dog you keep the mind moving forward by continuously giving the leave it and heel until the dog is able to walk without going nuts. Then you can work on the sit and stay. If you try the down stay at this point the dog only knows one way to react and you are giving her the time she needs to continuously keep her mind on the passing dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this help.

I'll follow your tip.

As I understand it, using the down command allows my dog to keep her mind on the passing dog. I need to help her get her mind on moving on.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Well thinking logically here, if there was something going on that you did not like and were made to sit and watch it, would you calm down or would your insides get all worked up? That is what happens to your dog until you have them under complete voice command. We as humans are very good at giving the dog one command and then not showing them what we want them to do instead. So you are giving her a down command and asking her to stay in that position without giving her something else to think about or do when she is not reliable yet. So first get the leave it command down because then you can give her the down and give the leave it so that tells her what you want next. For me it has always worked out better to teach the leave it and lose lead together So I am taking the dog away from the situation that gets them over excited fairly quick so they can succeed in what I am asking them to do. I also back it up with a high value reward, and keep the interaction/ time very short at first.

Are you doing clicker training or some other training? Are you familiar with BAT training? IF not I can direct you to sites to explain these
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for this help.

I use food lures (pan drippings mixed with grated cheese and small, softened Evo kibbles) as a reward (this is the method I learned from The Good Dog Foundation Therapy 1 class that we just completed).

BAT training is new to me. I'd appreciate direction to some websites where I couikd learn more.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
That is great, but when you get to more distracting places the value of reward has to be upped. This is why we start off with small value in a quiet non distracting place such as in the home, then we move to the back yard, then move to the driveway then move to the street. As you get to the driveway and street you up the reward value. IF you use the same reward value for everything then the dog knows it will get them all the time and it makes it less valuable to them. So I start off with cheerios in the home (or soft dog treats) then graduate to hot dog slivers then to chicken slivers. When you get to the part you know will bother the dog the time spent in that situation is a bit short , and then you gradually build up the time. But always set the dog up to succeed rather than fail. This is the BAT training

Training method BAT

Clicker training/positive method training

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much for helping.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome. If you need more help in the future you can request me. Keep in mind that different organizations have different testing requirements.

Once you have rated my answer I would like to schedule a free follow up with you to see how things are going or if you need more help with this problem. Should any new problems arise, you can open a new question and request me if you wish for me to help you again.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark,

I am just checking in to see how your pup is doing with being around other dogs. It's been three weeks so I am hoping you are seeing some progress.