Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

Hi there I have a 14 month old yellow labrador. He recently

Hi there I have a 14 month old yellow labrador. He recently started jumping to fence to play with the dog next door. I decided to install a visible electric pet fence both at the bottom (prevent digging) and at the top for jumping. He however now is so afraid of being alone out in the yard. The fence has been up for 2 days only. Was it the right thing to do.

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

.
My name isXXXXX have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
I feel it was a good choice. However, now that he knows he will be shocked if he touches the hot wire, you need to show him that he can get close to it without getting shocked and that he just can't touch it. I do hope you got the one designed for pets and not for large animals. They are different. The one for pets alternates on and off while the large animal fence has current all the time and shouldn't be used for pets.
.
It will take some time for him to realize where he can go and where he can't and you can help by walking him around the edge of the area so he sees that he isn't shocked just because he is close. I don't even have to have mine plugged in and all but one of my dogs will still stay in. Only one will smell that it is off and go through.
.
I'd use tasty treats inside the area he is allowed to be in to help convince him it is still ok to be outside. Plant them all over the yard before you let him out. You need to keep toys to ones that won't roll under the wire and be sure any metal dishes are not close to the electric fence.
.
An alternative way to keep him from jumping is to add a section of fencing ( a foot or so) and angle it inward. This adds about 9 inches to the height and usually stops them jumping over and climbing over.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jane, thank you for putting me at ease. Yes it is the alternating current pet unit that was installed. I will take Sami along the perimeter and teach him its still safe to be outside with some rewards. I'm sure that he will soon be his old self again.

Regards

Heinrich

Heinrich,

.

You are very welcome. I should also tell you that my 6 year old girl constantly grabs the wire just to feel the shock, so it is not that intense. It is the unexpectedness of the shock that keeps the dog away.