Lisa
Lisa, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  CVT with a special interest in behavior modification through structure, boundaries and limitations with positive reinforcement.
10413311

My dog is humping other dogs every chance he gets. He is neutered.

My dog is humping other dogs every chance he gets. He is neutered. How to stop this?
Thank you.
Hi there. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I do have a few questions to make sure I totally understand the problem.

How old is your dog?

What breed is he?

Was he neutered as a young puppy?

Does he hump every other dog, or does it seem like it's mostly females or mostly males, or only big dogs, or only small dogs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Buddy is between 3 and 4 years old. He is neutered. He apparently humps everything in sight. He is not a fighter, in fact overly friendly, and very large. This humping has just started recently and no doggy day care or cageless kennel will take him due to this. Any help?

Thanks for the additional information Sue. I really appreciate it.

Since Buddy has been neutered then this is absolutely a dominance thing. All dogs will jockey for position in a group, and often that means that there is some mounting (ie: humping) that goes on. The thing to remember is that both males and females will hump for donimanace...it's not a sexual thing, it's all about instinct..

There's a good website article about it here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/humping/page2.aspx (I love this article because it mostly focuses on male mounting...there's a part of the article that explains how you can assert yourself as the boss dog in the house...once you're firmly in charge, most times this behavior stops).

The important thing to remember is that there is no aggression going on here and it's not sexual. As long as the other dogs involved don't get aggressive about it, often the best thing to do is to allow it to happen. Once this routine is completed and the dogs have decided who is in charge, it usually stops.

I hope this helps.
Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa