Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
2361900

I have a new dog, 13 month old golden retriever who has lived

I have a new dog, 13 month old golden retriever who has lived her life to date in a concrete run with a wire fence around it, at a breeders property. She now lives in a private home but paces the floor inside if I am not in the lounge room sitting or if I put her outside and am not with her. I have had her for 10 days and am worried about her well being. What should I do?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

How does she act when you are in the room with her?Is the lounge the only place she is allowed? Or are you saying that when you move around your house, she follows and paces the floor?What do you do when she exhibits this behavior? Are you reassuring her, petting her or otherwise showing her attention?What do you do if you put her outside and she paces outside?has she had any obedience training?Do you take her for walks?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Jane, she is allowed all around the house and follows me everywhere. If I sit on the couch in the loungeroom she will sit on the rug, but if I get up she gets up and follows. If I am cooking etc she paces, I talk quietly to her a bit but on the whole try to ignore the behaviour. I put her outside to eat and close the door so she has a wee etc but she has started pacing on the deck and in and out of the dog door into the laundry until I open the door again. She had no training when I got her (10 days ago) but I am going to take her to classes as soon as I can book her in. She goes for a walk every day, comes to me when she is called if in an off lead area and generally gets on very well with my friends' dogs. She has a very gentle nature, not at all aggressive. She is a little timid, has come from the country and is scared of car noises and push bikes, but as I live in the city, I walk her where there is always traffic. She is scared of the car as she has been in it twice and has been sick both times.

Thanks

Toni

Toni,

Thanks for all the additional information. It is very helpful. There is a lot to cover. First off, if the dog has lived her life in a kennel with limited human interaction, the whole staying inside situation is unknown to her. Since she was an outside dog, she may have had another dog as company when outside as well.

As a result, she is probably uncomfortable being inside and is bonding to you. While you are sitting down, she knows that you are not going to be moving around, opening ovens or microwaves or running a dishwasher or the water in the sink, etc which would all be noises she wouldn't be used to. This would make her uncomfortable and under stress. It is perfectly normal for dogs to follow their human around. If I let mine, I would have 5 following me along with the cats. The difference is that most dogs would just come in and stand around or get a drink of water or even lay down until you left the room again.

This pacing inside should resolve as she becomes more used to the noises of everyday living inside the house. Ignoring the behavior is the best thing to do at this point. Once you have some obedience training, you can command her to come and lay down in a corner. That way you can reward her for obeying the command and teach her what behavior you expect of her.

You also do not have to wait for an opening. Starting her now will get her started on training and help her self confidence. If she has had limited socialization around people, the obedience training will also help her know what humans expect which help their self confidence and she won't be as fearful. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

You might try a DAP collar. They have them online and in pet stores. They use pheromones similar to the ones a mother dog uses to calm her nursing pups. This may help calm her down and be less anxious. Melatonin might help her relax as well. It has been shown to work well for noise phobias.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

.

The car ride issues may be related to motion sickness. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.

Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip. That may help with car rides.

I think I covered everything, but if I missed something please let me know. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 16+ years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Jane
I have enrolled her in training and will talk to my vet regarding her motion sickness
Toni
You are welcome.