Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have 2 dogs, both be able mixes, who sleep in kennels in

I have 2 dog's, both be able mixes, who sleep in kennels in the basement. For about 6 months, one dog starts barking every morning one to two hours before anyone awakes (5 am). He doesn't need to go to the bathroom, he isn't any hungrier than any other time of day...he just wants out of the kennel. We've trying telling him "hush", which sometimes works for 15 minutes, but it also becomes negative attention. We've tried letting him "bark it out", but he never tires of barking. We're very sleep deprived, and don't know what to do!
hi JaCustomer,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

I guess the first question is does Bart destroy the house or eliminate inside and thus need to be crated when you are asleep?When is his least meal of the day?When is Bart crated? When is his last chance to eliminate?When is his last walk and how long is it?Does Bart have toys in his crate?What have to you tried so far to stop the behavior? Please include everything you have tried so I do not recommend things that have not been successful with your dog?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I'll be happy to give you as much info as possible. Yes, he is crated because he has peed on rugs overnight. We normally crate them around 11:30, and he has normally been asleeep for at least two hours. He can go outside any time up to the time of creating, but he rarely asks to go out past 9pm. We have tried to make him go out later, and he just won't get up. We have not tried offering a treat to go out.

His last meal is at 6pm. We have tried giving him 3 meals so the last one is around 9, but it hasn't affected the barking. He does not have toys in the crate. He does love bones, so maybe that would be good.

The walking is a problem. They have a fenced area to run around in, but they don't get consistent walks. Especially now, because I have my foot in an aircast. I'm seeing from your questions, that this might have something to do with the problem!

Joanne,

Not walking might contribute to the problem, but lets go over some things. If you can keep a dog asleep for a longer period of time, it helps stop them from waking up so early. Some ways of accomplishing that are a small meal right before bedtime. Not a whole meal, just a snack. Dog with some food in their belly tend to sleep longer since there is no excess acid in the stomach and they won't be as hungry in the morning.

Additionally, some dogs do have a problem with excess bile, so pepcid taken at night might help a bit. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Take up water around dinner time if neither dog has kidney issues. A dog is less likely to wake up if their bladder is empty. That is a good reason to have a nice long fast paced walk before bed time. It serves to tire your dog out and provide plenty of opportunity for him to void his bladder when he marks all the bushes and trees in the neighborhood. . He may be more likely to go out if he thinks he is going for a walk. Dogs also would rather go out with their owner, so stepping outside with them while they roam around before bedtime can also make a difference.

Another thing that can help is to get a Kong chew toy with the treat compartment. You can fill it with peanut butter or yogurt and freeze it. Give this at bedtime. It will either keep your dog up for a few more hours while he gets the treat out of the kong, or will keep him occupied when he wakes up. Keep the mouth busy and they can't bark. So add a few toys and swap them out every week to keep him from getting bored.

Now there is the option of using no bark devices. These come in various forms including ultrasonic collars, citronella collars, vibration collars and shock collars. You can see these here:http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/classic-no-bark-collar-small-red.html
http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/vibration-bark-control-collar.htm
https://www.google.com/search?q=citronella&oq=citronella&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2403j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=citronella+bark+collar

I think these things will help with the situation. I would also go ahead and reward him with an extra special treat in the morning if he is able to not bark until you get up.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have ..If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Since there have been recalls on certain foods and treats, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/
Hi Joanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is amazing! We are now taking the dogs on a quick walk at 10, giving
them chew toys in the kennel, and the barking has stopped. He was just bored and not tired enough to sleep. Thank you so much!

Joanne,
You are very welcome.